August 20, 2022, 04:35:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ma.K.n' it since 2007!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Data Purge  (Read 1449 times)
futch
Administrator
Ma.K. Spammer

« on: May 30, 2022, 09:00:23 PM »

Hey All

I just purged a little over 1000 inactive members with 0 posts, 0 IMs and had not logged on for 2 years or more. We do this from time to time to keep the database optimised. If you're a lurker and you want to keep your account, you'll need to post something from time to time. Just 1 ping...er, one post only Vasily.

Ping me if any part of the forum starts acting up.

Futch

Homepage: futchFactor.com FaceBook/Skype: Futch Factor
Alfred
Ma.K. Fanatic

ONLY THE DEAD HAVE SEEN THE END OF WAR!

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 09:00:59 AM »

Smiley
ericfromouterspace
Ma.K. Enthusiast

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 12:50:31 PM »

when i log in now i no longer see the "new posts since you last visited" notifications
futch
Administrator
Ma.K. Spammer

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 01:59:34 PM »

when i log in now i no longer see the "new posts since you last visited" notifications

Are you referring to "Show unread posts since last visit. " below the banner?
(and has it ever worked? it's never worked for me)

urumomo
Ma.K. Enthusiast

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 04:14:00 PM »

It's always worked for me .
Quite convenient .
theBaron
Ma.K. Spammer

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 05:37:59 PM »

Are you referring to "Show unread posts since last visit. " below the banner?
(and has it ever worked? it's never worked for me)

It's always worked for me .
Quite convenient .

I use both the "Show new replies to your posts" and "Show unread posts since last visit" daily.  I've never had a problem with them.  I agree with Momo about the convenience.
ericfromouterspace
Ma.K. Enthusiast

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 09:52:07 PM »

yea i used to always use them.

honestly i am not sure how to track this forum without that, you quickly would always see what you missed.

they stopped working past few days.
futch
Administrator
Ma.K. Spammer

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 04:11:52 AM »

So "Show new replies..." works but  "Show unread posts..." doesnt?

If you go to "Show unread posts..." and click "Click here to try all unread topics.", do you see all unread?

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Have you tried logging out then back in?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:24:09 AM by futch » Logged

urumomo
Ma.K. Enthusiast

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 05:27:06 AM »

The first thing I hit when I check in is " show unread posts since last visit " and it always gives me a list of the latest posts .
I check out what I do and always hit " mark messages read " if I don't click on all of them to clear it for my next visit .
Always works for me .

Sometimes I'll scroll down the home page real quick ( with the scroll wheel on the mouse ) to see if any of the sections are highlighted first  , then hit the " show unread posts since last visit " if they are .
Why ? IDK  , I'm kinda getting out that old habit and just immediately clicking on the " show unread posts .."  these days   Grin
theBaron
Ma.K. Spammer

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 02:05:03 PM »

Both "Show" features are working for me, though I have to qualify that and say that they return some posts.  I haven't investigated to confirm that they return all of the posts that they should.  It can be done, but I haven't undertaken to verify the searches.

Sometimes they return no results, but I have always taken that to mean that there were no new replies to threads I've posted in, or new posts to other threads, since the last time I logged in to the forum.  I access the forum daily from Monday through Friday, so I could imagine that there could be a 24-period between my logins, in which there are no new posts.
ericfromouterspace
Ma.K. Enthusiast

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »

If you go to "Show unread posts..." and click "Click here to try all unread topics.", do you see all unread?

Neither works now — used to always show up "show new replies" and "show unread posts" and i woudl use that to navigate around — but i haven't seen either pop up lately (and of course there have been both unread posts and unread replies to me in the past ~2 weeks)
rancor1223
Ma.K. Enthusiast

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 06:35:41 PM »

I've never used it before, but the "Show unread posts since last visit." button seems to be working fine for me. I clicked the "Mark all messages as read" earlier today and now I can see the newly updated threads pop up there.
theBaron
Ma.K. Spammer

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 10:04:03 PM »

Neither works now — used to always show up "show new replies" and "show unread posts" and i woudl use that to navigate around — but i haven't seen either pop up lately (and of course there have been both unread posts and unread replies to me in the past ~2 weeks)

Eric, do you mean that you don't see the links themselves?
theBaron
Ma.K. Spammer

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 10:14:54 PM »

Not directly related to this, perhaps, but I just realized that we can collapse the forum page header:

I never noticed that before; it defaults to expanded for me.  But since the header contains the "Show all" links, if it's collapsed, then they're hidden.
futch
Administrator
Ma.K. Spammer

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 06:14:40 PM »

Sorry this took so long to figure out but I had to reverse engineer the forum software then run SQL statements to understand what data controls unread posts.

Long story short, whenever you visit the forum, it updates your profile with the most recent post. The forum compares the last most recent post on your profile to track new posts. The problem is that the forum also uses cookies, sessions and it's database to store data and make read/unread decisions. If anything gets out of sync, "Show unread posts since last visit." gets stuck permanently. The forum goes into a perpetual loop trying to fix your profile/session but it never does because it always keeps thinking you've seen the latest post (and therefore everything before it).

The only way to fix this is the break the loop...but it requires you to

- logout
- delete cookies for this forum
- ask/wait for me to update the database
- login once I give the all-clear

You might be able to fix it yourself by doing the above but instead of contacting me, just waiting a day or so for someone to post new content. When the forum creates a new session/cookie it might fix itself.

F
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 06:21:16 PM by futch » Logged

theBaron
Ma.K. Spammer

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 04:24:31 PM »

...The problem is that the forum also uses cookies, sessions...

That explains why I never had the issue.  I access the forum during the day, while I'm logged in to my company's network, and using Chrome, which I use for my various work tasks (application testing).  I clear my browser cache frequently through the day, before starting new test runs.
ericfromouterspace
Ma.K. Enthusiast

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »

lmao thanks Baron.

Yea it was just the header collapse button.

I must have accidentally clicked it at some point.

Never even knew it was there.

OK thanks everyone working well again now.
Blackwolf
Ma.K. Enthusiast

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 11:29:46 PM »

I always view most recent posts,seems the simplest  Smiley

May the Wolf Walk With You

http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: