Berndt Series: JR-01
Panzer Kampf Anzung Ausf B Scale: 1/20
 


Berndt
Link to In-Progress Discussion

History

This is my interpretation of an original design built by Juliano Redigolo of Brazil. His clever use of left over parts and understanding of the MaK aesthetic created a very canon looking suit design. Once he posted photos of his completed model, I had to build one just like it.

The Build

Pretty straightforward really. I used some Gustav parts and some PKA HO parts to build the main items. The biggest challenge was going to be getting the shape of the gun just right. I studied Juliano’s photos and think I got pretty close to the original. The torso sides and misc. minor details were filled in with epoxy putty to simplify the design. I created an engine compartment from the spares bin. This is the third PKA engine I’ve built that won’t really be seen. Brilliant.

The parts for the appendages were packed with epoxy putty. When cured, I drilled holes to insert .09” diameter solid solder wire to fix the pose. I wasn’t trying to create an action shot this time, so I had to pay more attention to making sure the lengths were correct and it stood upright. The flexible joint covers were sculpted with Aves Apoxie Putty.

The torso was textured with Mr Surfacer 500 and an old brush with the bristles clipped short. Foundry numbers were created with Plastruct 1/16” plastic letters. The design only difference between this build and Juliano’s was the addition of the chest sensor. He used the PKA bi-optic camera and mount on top of the suit. We communicated about this and he was never too thrilled with that solution and was OK with me changing the detial in this area. I opted for something that retained the bi-optic cameras but housed them in a mount similar to the chest sensor of the Gustav.

Painting

The suit is airbrushed with Tamiya Acrylics, thinned with their lacquer thinner for their acrylic line of paints. I’ve read that this yields far better results than other thinners for Tamiya. Meh. I didn’t notice all that much difference over my usual thinning with rubbing alcohol. Once the base color was applied, I airbrushed lighter tones of the base color to accent the curves of the torso and upper surfaces of the suit. The camo color is a custom mix of Tamiya acrylics. I wanted a basic looking suit, so the camo pattern is random and splotchy. No, they weren’t carefully concealed accidents, it was intentional.

The main cabin was painted the same as the exterior base color. The engine bay and small details were hand painted with Vallejo Model Acrylics, VMA. A couple of washes with thinned artist’s oils and some dry brushing picked out the details that won’t be seen once the pilot is installed.

The flexible covers were painted with VWA and highlighted and shaded like you would for a figure.

The Pilot

The pilot bust is from a pair of original sculpts from Saito Heel, aka LoveLove Garden and released as a limited run item at the Japanese WonderFest. This sculpt has a boyish face and not the hardened veteran look with so many military figures. This roundish faced proved to be a little more challenging to paint as there were not many lines on the face to help create volume and character. This is the fourth bust I have painted with VMA. Since I only paint one a year, I don’t think I did too bad.

Weathering

After decals were applied and sealed with a coat of Polly Scale Satin, I applied a few filters of thinned Sepia and Medium Grey artist’s oils to help tone down the contrast in the camo and the highlighting effects. A few pin washes were applied to accent details. I thinned Tamiya Smoke and airbrushed this around panels and joints to add a little shading and further accent the compound curves.

The model was given a dusting with Tamiya Buff which created a nice base for the pigments.

Groundwork 

I created a couple of PDF documents for the ground work. Those can be downloaded here.

Making Trees from Natural Materials

Making Goundwork with Matte Gel Medium

If you’re looking for the short version, here it is. The groundwork is Matte Gel Medium mixed with pigments, dirt, sand and root debris spread over Styrofoam with Woodland Scenics grass. The tree is a root form the yard and the leaves are cut with a hole punch from real leaves and glued to the root.